Sunday, May 08, 2005

Inner City Show Queen of Peace Church (5/6)

Last night I had the blessing of rapping with the good folks at Queen of Peace Church in Houston. I had visited the church once before a few years back and fell in love with the peeps. The church is like 99% Mexicans and I always feel a connection to a church like that being a minority myself (I'm a Polish Black man). Anyway - the show was a silly sick time - and these cats really knew how to dance (especially Alfonzo, Rudolf, and Gina - my soultrain dancers for the evening). The concert was especially memorable cause it was my last concert in Houston as a "Texan"...we're moving in a week. Because of that some of our friends from the past 2 years came out to wiggle it one more time together before we shoved off (thank you SVDP). It's always nice when my family can come out to a show too. Though they normally leave about 20 minutes into the concert cause my kids either break something at the venue or hurt each other. But this time was a little different cause my wife took my daughter (Ceili) and my youngest son (Toby) home but left my son Christian. Christian felt compelled to stay cause he said he had been writing some raps and he just had to do one on stage. So we closed out the concert together and Christians rap consisted of the word "hi" which I must admit he delivered quite nicely over the microphone. I tried to feed him some other lines to spit but he kept looking at me as though he was slightly offended saying stuff like "But, I don't want to say that". I love rapping... but I really love being a dad.