Monday, March 14, 2005

Hip Hop is Taking Over

As I read an article in the March issue of Rolling Stone entitled “Rock Radio No Longer Rolling” I think back to a conversation I had with my father in law several years ago where he informed me that “rap’ was a fad that would be non existant in the years to come. The article stated that major radio stations around the country are dumping rock format due the ever growing decline in a rock demanding audience. Many of these stations who have since been converted into hip hop stations reported a 70% decline in listenership since 1998. Now, I (who enjoy rock and roll as much as the next guy) am by no means advocating or rejoicing in the fact the hip hop has the music industry in a choke hold. But I think these stats give some validation to a genre of music that people laughed off as a fad 20 years ago and has since influenced and shaped global pop culture with an unmatched force. The cold hard fact is this – love it or hate it, hip hop isn’t going anywhere soon. So give respect where it’s due and look who’s laughing now suckers!!! (I hope my father in law is not reading this)