Monday, January 24, 2005

Catholic Rapper?

Not too long ago I read a bunch of peoples posts on a website about Righteous B and their concerns about whether I was “Catholic enough” and I thought I’d drop a post after reading some of this discussion. I didn’t know I was so controversial (but that’s always good for advertising I guess) – I just happened to talk to someone after a concert who informed me I was the source of some Catholic controversy and so I decided to peep the sitch. Here's just a couple thoughts on where daddy is coming from.

First - as far as whether I'm a Catholic rapper or a rapper who is Catholic or a protestant rapper - you can call me a Catholic rapper, a rapper who is catholic, or a bologna sandwich for all I care - I'm just a dude who is trying to find a forum to share his heart. I find one way I can do that is through art (i.e. Hip Hop). And when I say, "share me heart" - I am ultimately referring to sharing Jesus. In the context of the Roman Catholic Church? ...Absolutely. BUT, I have to be honest with ya'll - I don't feel like the most effective way to reach the lost is to include apologetics in every hook of my songs. Over the past 4 years...I've lead an RCIA program where I've brought over 20 inner city teens into the Catholic Church. And the reason I share that is not to say "look how Catholic I am!" or to justify my music or weird dance moves (I wasn't even aware I had dance moves ... but now I feel like I can take on Usher!) -- I say it because - it wasn't my music/ lyrics that brought these kids to Christ in the Catholic Church. It was me sitting down and spending time with them. My concerts might be entertaining, they might be fun, or maybe if I'm lucky tear down some walls - but people are not going to be nourished at them. We go to the Eucharist for that - not a rap concert.

Bottom line is I believe that an incarnational model of ministry is the only kind of ministry that will make any effective or lasting impact on peoples lives. What do I mean by that? God came down and became one of us. Out of 33 years of life - he spent only 3 in active ministry. The rest of his time was spent just hanging out with people - just sharing life - not packing a heated agenda. I would bet that Jesus spent less time on apologetics than he did just spending time with others - hearing their story, eating dinner at their homes (maybe they even ate kielbasa?), playing, and yes even laughing. From here - at an opportune time - Christ whispered Truth to receptive hearts.

This is my goal in ministry - to use hip-hop, humor, and authenticity to reach the lost. That's where my heart is. I am a guy who wants to share my life with people in the context of art not apologetics. And I’m not saying apologetics are not important - I've taken numerous courses on the subject and see the need. I'm just saying as I see it, a Hip Hop song filled with apologetics just is not an effective way to reach people. Hard Core Catholics love it - but it easily turns others off. I'm saying - I just want to get my foot or further more Jesus' foot in the door of their heart. People more readily say yes to a passionate life than a well-planned argument. I feel I can do more good eating a hamburger with a kid after a show than to explain Lumen Gentium in the course of a two and a half minute rap song.

Anyway that's my vision. I'm not really looking for a debate - though I don't mind if you want to talk about it. That's just the vision Christ has placed in my heart. Maybe yours is different. More power to ya. I loved the controversial debate - it was really fun to read but don't read too much into my songs. Rhymes like “Kielbasa Posse” were never intended to be exegetical. It's just a song about sausage. Lighten up.

Let's keep fighting the good fight together ya'll.