Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Christianity relevant to Africa

"By respecting, persevering and fostering the particular values and
riches of your peoples cultural heritage, you will be in a position to lead
them to a better understanding of the mystery of Christ, which is able to be
lived in the noble, concrete and daily experiences of African life. There is no
question of adulterating the Word of God, or of emptying the Cross of
its power (cf. I Cor 1:17), but rather of bringing Christ into the very
center of African life and of lifting up all African life to Christ. Thus not
only is Christianity relevant to Africa, but Christ in the members of His
Body,is Himself African."
Pope John Paul, Eccleasia in Africa #127

A friend sent this article to me recently (probably because I'm black and he thought I'd enjoy it). I thought this statement by the Pope was really cool - especially the last line refrencing Christ in his body is...African. I love the fact that the Jesus Christ in the church embodies and embraces culture. I believe this is how we need to bring Christ to the world - bringing Christ into "the very center of peoples culture" not replacing their culture. Too often I think we perceive Christ as an American and we have a hard time seperating his person from western culture. Christ is bigger than that.